Sunday, April 28, 2019

Hot-Blooded Hunter by Katie Lewis ^_^

The frustrating thing about reading (or writing) a series or trilogy is resolving a self-contained subplot within each book while furthering the overarching tale and hooking the reader into wanting more...willing to await the next "fix."  Katie Lewis nails this and then hammers it into your chest on the final page!  Okay - I don't normally read romances...but DAMN!  I am not in this book's target demographic, but at one time I was and I must applaud Lewis for grabbing my attention enough with the main plot that I'm eagerly awaiting the next book, HOT-BLOODED HUNTRESS.  I mean...DAMN!  I like books that make me think (not that this one doesn't), but...DAMN!  Okay, okay.  Backing out of the heat broiling my brain and insides alive, the first page hooked me.  Entering at a mid-point with the characters at a natural pause in the action isn't easy to pull off, but it feels real - anticipation flows from the page into your fingers.  The shift from that scene into the next few chapters pulled me out a bit and I can't pinpoint why - this may be part of the whole not-my-thing thing - but Lewis hooked me again and the rest is a blur.  I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and I haven't felt that pull in a while.  The exhilaration of paranormal romance hit me like it did when I read the genre 20 years ago and a different kind of anticipation took over - as it should.  An info dump of backstory isn't given or necessary.  Lewis provides everything you need to know along the way.  I am left oh so satisfied with the subplot resolution, but have so many questions yet to be answered with the next book(s).  Trace reminds me a lot of Zero from the Vampire Knight manga, and those familiar with the hunter's society can easily picture the Institute.  I've returned to that series in my reviews lately, but there's a more direct correlation here.  Lewis offers the perfect opportunity for Zero fans who may want a bite (and rather large one at that) of hot sexual tension in a similar situation.  I connected more with Trace and feel like he is a better formed character, but that fits the story so far.  I don't believe, for an instant, that Ilana knows so little about guns after 10 years of vampire hunting and training, and I was disappointed at how weak she was against the one vampire, but, again, it fits with the story and each character is similarly flawed.  Ilana is clearly a healer, and the fact that she's uncertain of her place in life adds realism.  If your heart's not in it, you're not in it, and even down to life or death, certain expectations, hindrances, and confusion excuse her shortcomings (see? It does make you think).  I think Lewis has something in mind for Ilana and I'm rather curious about it.  (wink)  Even though it's not my normal read, I'm giving 5 stars because Lewis did her job and did it well.  She not only snagged someone outside her target audience, but also took my breath away in the end.  I've joined the ranks of those who can't wait for the next book!  Kudos for providing the guilty pleasure I've been unknowingly missing for a long time. 

No comments: