Thursday, December 6, 2012

HP Pavilion M6 - Follow Up Review

The initial review of the HP Pavilion M6 has had a lot of traffic and one person left comments about his/her own experiences with the laptop.  His/her concerns were as follows:

1. Slight warming of the left palm rest

2. Feels like the display is a bit too reflective (my last one was matte, so i might be panicking)

3. i have some worries about the build quality. i really do hope it lasts {at least} 3 years without any major issues.. (KP Note:  the screen broke and was replaced by HP)

I'll address those concerns first, with my own experience:

1.  I have noticed a warm spot to the left of the touch pad.  However, I generally use a chill pad and that greatly reduces the heat generated.  When one looks at the bottom of the laptop, it is readily apparent that the hard drive, ram, and so forth are compartmentalized through the center - or under the touchpad and through the middle of the keyboard.  All of the vents and fans are in the middle and to the left side, so it's not surprising that heat would gather there.  The only thing of note on the right side of the bottom is the subwoofer.  So - in short, I always use a chill pad - and not one that sits flush against the bottom, but one that allows for proper air circulation between it and the laptop.  It does make a difference.

2.  I had initially noted that the display seemed less reflective than my last laptop, but I believe it's actually the same.  Going from a matte screen to glossy is a big jump and I had issues with it when I purchased my first glossy screen 3 laptops ago.  However, one does adjust and gets used to it.  I'm not going to say it's not a pain - it really sucks when the screen is used outdoors, especially on sunny days.  My personal opinion though is that the glossy screen tends to hold up better to being touched and is easier to clean than a matte screen (my second monitor is matte).

3.  I can't comment with any certainty on the build quality.  I baby my laptops, so the risk of breakage due to use or accidents is minimal.  I have not experienced breakage on any of my previous 4 HP laptops (I still have three of them-current one included-and donated another that is still in use).  That said, the screen/lid is considerably thinner than on previous laptops, so I can see where that could be an issue.  However, in the course of my work, I have seen some truly flimsy laptop lids (cheap Toshibas and HPS) where the lid physically warps and bends when grabbed at the top and given a slight twist.  On this one, if the screen is pushed all the way back and tapped, it will rock on the hinges - so it's not indestructible.  When it comes to laptops and computers, you generally get what you pay for.  This class of laptop is probably mid-range - it's not cheap by any means and it's also not high end,  but it is solid in comparison to the cheapo laptops I just described.  In short - I have not had any problems with the build quality and in fact believe HP added to the portability by adding the grippy-texture to the bottom side of the lid when it is closed to help in avoiding slippage or droppage.  (And yes, like Barney Stinson, I made up quite a few words in that last sentence.)

My qualms with the laptop:

1.  Wireless range.  To be fair, it very well could be our home network.  I have not yet troubleshooted the issue, cycled our equipment, or tried switching the channel.  ALSO - I experience the same wi-fi issues on my phone in the same rooms...although my phone also has connectivity issues with the cell towers, too, when switching from 3 to 4g (Droid Razr).  However, I never had this issue on my previous laptop, so even if the problem lies mostly in my network equipment, I have to wonder if the wireless adapter wasn't somehow....downgraded...or something.  The issue:  in the back rooms of the house, I've had the signal drop out on me (the modem and router are in the living room).  When vpn'ing into work, it's dropped my connection on multiple occasions during the same session.  My VPN connection is considerable slower on this laptop than my other one, as well.  Again, however, there are many variables at play here - as I said, I have not troubleshooted my network equipment and my work pc has recently had some resource hogging software installed on it (and its motherboard is dying - so the list of issues never ends).  The only thing I can say with certainty is that the wi-fi connectivity on this laptop while on BATTERY use, is limited and can drop easily.  That can be rectified by changing the power settings during battery use, though this will use more battery life because it directs more power to the wireless adapter.  This is a common issue in today's laptops, however, and does not necessarily speak poorly of this laptop.  So...did I say anything helpful there or just a bunch of contradictions?  ^_^

2.  Sound.  Beats audio did turn itself back on, despite being disabled in services.  The sound just suddenly got worse.  Other reviewers have completely uninstalled Beats and rolled the sound driver back to an older version that does not use Beats.  That is an option one can take.  I have chosen to work with Beats instead - I turned off the equalizer in Windows Media Player and tweaked the settings on the Beats equalizer.  That has helped considerably.  BUT - the sound on this laptop is just shoddy.  On my old laptop, I could blast the music at full volume and hear it throughout the house.  On this one, sometimes full volume isn't enough for sitting at my desk.  Beats or no Beats, I am disappointed in the sound - both quality and volume.  For my use, it's not a deal breaker, but still a disappointment.  I have yet to use the laptop with headphones, but I anticipate the experience to be more pleasurable (given my experience with the DV7) - this is pure speculation.

3.  Keyboard.  On the rare occasions that I use the laptop keyboard, I am continually thrown by the arrow key placement.  As I said in the other review, I love shortcut keys, so now I'm always hitting the wrong keys.  That said, this laptop does include a full keyboard with number pad, so even when I don't have my USB keyboard, this one is sufficient.  It's a minor issue.

4.  Charging USB Ports.  Excellent theory behind the technology and probably very useful.  But I'd like to be able to turn the function off.  Thankfully, my chill pad has an on/off switch, but few come with that option and it's a pain to remember to turn it on and off.  Both charging ports are on the right side, and due to the way my chill pad works, I cannot use the ports on the left side.

Overall, I don't have much to add to my first review.  Despite the minor issues I've noticed, this is a quality laptop that I would recommend for purchase.  The sound and keyboard are truly minor issues, and I haven't thoroughly investigated the wi-fi issue, so it's not fair to make any decisions based on that.  With the rise of wireless networks and wireless devices comes a rise in wireless conflicts.  Cycling my equipment or changing the broadcast channel just might resolve the issue completely.  When it comes to something like that, unless the wifi on the laptop isn't turning on or is disabling itself (like the DV7), all variables need to be considered before one blames the laptop's wireless adapter.

Aside from the "techy-stuff" and things I talked about in the first review, there are cosmetic and functional changes that I do like - such as the fact that there is no lighted HP Logo on the lid.  Whether it was simply generated by light from the screen or lit by a separate power source, it was a distraction for others in the room (I know, because my husband now uses it in the living room and we typically watch tv in the dark).  The touchpad is larger and not quite as sensitive as the last one.  When typing in MS Word on my previous laptop, I would frequently hit the touchpad and wreak havoc in my document.  I had to get into the habit of turning it off when typing and then turning it on when I needed to use it.  That was a pain.  I have not had that trouble with this laptop.  In fact, the letter keys on the keyboard and the palm rests are in perfect place for typists who use the home row.  The blacklit keyboard is nice when typing in the dark and I LOVE that it can toggled on and off.  I would hate having a backlit keyboard that could not be turned off.  The absence of touch buttons makes the laptop easier to clean without accidentally turning it on/off, adjusting the volume, or turning off the wifi, etc.  In fact, the metallic finish also make the laptop not only easier to clean, but more aesthetically pleasing (the last laptop was glossy and showed every fingerprint, smudge, etc).   The laptop is thinner, lighter, and more portable than my previous one.  I never thought that would be an issue until I found out just how easy it is to move this thing.  I'd have to check the technical specs again (provided in link form in the first review), but I believe this weighs around 5 pounds.  And the added grip is a really nice touch for those who tend to drop things (like me).

In summary, it is usually quite difficult for me to give up my previous laptops in favor of new ones.  I get attached.  I get used to the way things used to be.  I don't like change.  But I haven't had any of those issues with the HP Pavilion M6.  Aside from a few minor quirks, the transition has been smooth and I haven't given my old laptop a second thought.

Sorry for any typos - I didn't edit this post well.  (Feeling lazy today ^_-)

No comments: