Tuesday, August 20, 2013

MRI Update

A lot has happened, so this is a quick (yeah right) follow up.  The MRI scan showed no change in the brain lesions from the last MRI (that's good) and the brain lesions don't highlight with contrast (also good).  Cervical spine was clear - I have a slightly bulging disc, but it's not causing any trouble.  My doctor did find a lesion on my thoracic spine that stretches over several vertebrae.  She believes this is causing the issues I'm having with my bowel/bladder function, back and leg pain, and leg weakness.  We did a lab to test for NMO (Neuromyelitis Optica) due to the lesion's location and size.  I received the results of that today - it was not conclusively negative, but they did not find the antibodies they would expect to find (that's good - and my doctor expected it to come back negative).  In addition to the lab, she ran an aggressive 5-day course of IV steroids to calm things down.  My last day was Sunday. 

The steroids were tough.  My BP was down all five days, so it was hard for the nurses to stick me.  But I got through it.  I've gone through this before and usually I'm a ball of non-sleeping hyperactivity.  This time, I couldn't sleep, despite taking heavy sedatives, and I was exhausted the entire time.

Meanwhile, Barnes called on Friday and got me in yesterday.  At this point, with the new scan and the "new" lesion, my home doctors are on the same page, so this was just a consult and reiterated what I already know.  The doctor I saw there agrees with my home doctor's diagnosis and offered some strength and balance training tips.  Barnes was an interesting place, but going there it wasn't as necessary as it once was.  I have MS.  She did say that it's possible the autonomic dysfunction with my heart is related to my MS, but it is not being caused by the thoracic lesion.  She recommended that I stay on my current treatment course (fludro-cortisone and compression stockings).

Last night, I slept 12 hours (yay!) and, even though I woke up sore from the car ride, my back and legs do feel a little better.  I haven't noticed a changed in the bowel/bladder yet.  The nurses said that since the symptoms had been coming on over the last 6 months to a year it could take a few weeks for the steroids to start working.  My BP is still down and I'm dizzy, but I'm feeling more optimistic than I was.

Also, since having the hysterectomy, I've been more prone to heat intolerance and have had some trouble with temperature.  Until now, I've always been cold and heat has only aggravated my MS a handful of times.  Now I'm either hot or cold, and swing from extreme to the other without much of a comfort zone.  So, we did an estrogen test to rule out any side effects on the surgery (I still have my ovaries).  My estrogen levels are fine (that's good).

So I guess overall, after a long period of uncertainty, things are coming together, and I finally have answers.

1 comment:

NerdGirl said...

I'm glad that you got some answers and that they were not scary worst case scenario answers.