Saturday, October 27, 2012

To Prologue or Not To...

A while back, I made the decision to flesh out my prologue and make it a short chapter one.  Expanding the scene worked well, but the extension caused one major issue:  chapter seven would now become chapter eight.  Chapter seven is named "Communion," containing a twist on the usual religious connotations held within that word.  The very meaning and context behind the chapter's title and pivotal scene made it rather important to me to keep the chapter number "seven."  Perhaps it was a nit-picky detail, but I call author's prerogative.  Seven is an important number in the Christian religion and the Christian religion (as I've tweaked it) plays a rather large role in the story.  So...I looked at the previous chapter and decided it was a good candidate for consolidation.  Hence, chapter six went away and became the lead into chapter seven.  It actually made chapter seven stronger, in my opinion.

I had been conflicted about making this change (prologue vs. first chapter) for some time.  I may have mentioned it in previous blogs.  Overall, I think I am happier with the scene as a chapter, but the first chapter is really nothing like the rest of the book until the later chapters come along, when the plot opens up and vampiric involvement becomes more evident.  The beginning opens on a scene taking place thirteen years prior to the main story, which opens in what is now chapter two.  I worry about first impressions based on the new chapter one, when the story deserves to be judged on its main base.  I realize that my writing should stand on its own regardless of having a prologue or a first chapter, and the writing does do that; however, writing aside, when it comes to this genre and vampire stories, so much has already been done that innovation is hard to show.  Upon first glance, the new first chapter may seem like an average tale, with not much to make it stand apart.  However, the story that begins thirteen years later, as told from two perspectives in chapter two proves that this is beyond ordinary or what's been done before.

The true issue then, rests in what agents see when I submit queries, and that has made me want to rethink the prologue vs. first chapter decision.  Some only ask for the first five pages.  In that case, it doesn't matter what the first section is called.  If they ask for the first "x" pages of chapter one, however, it does make a difference.  People skip reading prologues all the time, especially when they are misused by the author for the author to just...talk.  Even I skip those.  I only read prologues that are pertinent to the story and I initially started with a prologue because, while the section is pertinent to the story, it would allow the reader to choose whether or not to read it.  Those who chose to read would gain more knowledge of the story and the motivation happening in the background.  Those who chose to skip would enter the story without that knowledge, but would eventually gain it throughout their journey through the story.  The prologue, as it first existed, merely illustrated a scene that is referenced in a later chapter.  It still accomplishes that feat, but in a newly, better formed manner.

Since the scene references something in the mid-to-late chapters, it's a little like peeking ahead without any context about the people, actions, or environment.  And I created it that way on purpose, not necessarily to build a sense of intrigue or mystery, but rather to accomplish exactly what I just said.  I wanted to give the reader the opportunity to choose their reading experience by how they treated the prologue.  The freedom to choose paths against destiny is a theme that arcs throughout my manuscripts, so this was a way for me to bring that element to life for the reader.

Of course, now I've removed that element.  By making it the first chapter, I've removed the reader's choice.  Who skips the first chapter?  And why did I make this decision in the first place?  Why am I asking questions??     I chose to make it the first chapter because of the knowledge that prologues are met with mixed feelings from person to person and I wanted to present a solid piece of work without that element muddying a prospective agent's thoughts on the matter.

If I decided to go back to a prologue, I'd have to break up chapter seven again to make the original chapter six stand on its own, and I truly believe that a side effect of the initial decision made a stronger chapter seven.  However, the reader has to get that far to enjoy it.

This is just me showing a bit of doubt in my decisions, which I thought was important since so many authors out there may feel the same way and not realize that it happens to others.  I question my decision to open the story this way and to change it from a prologue to first chapter.  However, I am confident in my story and my ability as a writer, and I try to focus on my readers' feedback.  The most recent read through was from someone who had the story years ago, before the prologue even existed.  She initially missed the original opening, but then said that as she read on, it made parts of the story more cohesive, and by the end, made the plot and story-telling stronger.  The end opinion: she liked the new opening better.

I take from that mixed feelings.  I see that the original opening made a better first impression, but the new opening makes for an overall better story.  So I guess my indecision will always be there, but I'm happy with the story.  I agree that the new opening makes for a better reading experience.  I can only hope that an agent sees it that way, too.

No comments: